Sunday, July 29, 2012

Colorful Jelly Candies

I've really been interested in learning how to make candies. In fact, all kinds of candies.  I decided to start with jellies and work my way to hard candies, then onto molded chocolates.  The whole "chocolate tempering" is a bit unclear to me.  As it turned out, finding recipes for jellies, or gumdrop candies was not easy.  I wanted a recipe where I could alter colors, and flavors, and use molds.  I finally found a nice recipe in "Candy Cookbook" by Mildred Brand, published by Ideals.  The recipe is pretty simple, but I must admit Ive had trouble reproducing it with consistent results.  

I've made this recipe a number of times, and when it turns out, it's delicious!

I've used LorAnn extracts for flavoring; these hearts are cherry flavored.

Silicon molds are a necessity due to the high temperature of the candy.  I have used Wilton silicon molds, but have found a lot of variety with "Fat Daddio" molds.


This is a Wilton mold and the candies are flavored with a Blackberry extract.

So pretty in a candy dish!




Lemon Hearts!

Orange flavored flowers, daisies and roses



Chewy lime sunflower candies

As I said earlier, I have had trouble with the texture of the candies.  They are often too soft and sticky.  The colors and flavors are wonderful.  I have also used "Tart and Sour"  to make the jellies a little sour, which I like.

These candies are soo much  fun to make, and really tasty.  I plan to practice more this winter, when it is not so hot outside, and try to perfect the consistency of the texture.

Any advice regarding how to obtain the perfect chewy texture, every time, would be appreciated!

Have a great week!


3 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I hope some readers will provide some tips for you. You never cease to amaze me with your talents and eye for all things beautiful AND delicious! tmv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I've been making gumdrops a lot recently, and have been experimenting with different recipes. I've found that the Lorann's Tart and Sour gives them a sticky texture, and they don't set as well. I think the citric acid causes this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I will try them again without the Tart and Sour. Do you have a recipe that you would be wiling to share?

      Delete