Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vintage Cakes

I love January because I get to enjoy my new Christmas gifts!  One gift that I have been having fun with is a new cookbook that I received from my brother.  It's called "Vintage Cakes" by Julie Richardson.  It focuses on those classic cake recipes that have endured the test of time.  I have only made two of  the cakes, but so far, they are 100% yummy!

 As the cover shows, there are recipes that I remember my Mom making such as Jelly rolls and Icebox Cakes, but it also includes recipes that I have only read about such as a "Stack Cake".  The Stack Cake was the traditional  wedding cake in southern Appalachia.  According to Ms. Richardson, "wedding guests would each bring one layer of cake, and the bride's family would assemble the layers with a spiced dried apple compote in between- thus the name "stack cake." The more popular the bride and groom, the taller the cake!"
 
The first "Vintage Cake" I made was the "Jam Cake" with caramel chocolate ganache frosting.  This is a three layer cake; the recipe calling for buttermilk, lots of spices, and 12 ounces of jam.  I used home made raspberry jam.  And yes, I forgot to take a picture.  I gave it to my brother and sister-in-law.  They report that the cake was moist and delicious.   I know that the ganache was delicious, I tasted it a few times!

Then, I made this amazing cake!  It's a dark chocolate cake with a layer of bittersweet chocolate ganache on each layer (2) and frosted with a creamy butter cream.  I just love it!  The ganache is very fudgy and tastes wonderful with the cake and buttercream frosting.  The buttercream is made with whipped egg whites, vanilla, and butter.  It's smooth and creamy and not too sweet!  Mmmmmm

 
You can see that I didn't quite spread the ganache evenly, guess I'll have to keep trying until I get it just right!!  Oh, well....eating the mistakes won't be too much of a problem!  

 I am looking forward to making a lot more of these cakes, such as the Gingerbread Icebox Cake, made of stacked gingerbread cookies and mascarpone mousse, The Classic Cake, a yellow cake with chocolate fudge frosting, yes, the Stack Cake, the Butterscotch Cream Roll-up, the Lemon Queen Cakes with Meringue Frosting..........I have a lot of baking to do!  My husband is thrilled!

The "Vintage Cakes" cookbook  would be a  great gift for a baker, or even some new dessert options for yourself.  Enjoy!

Have a great week and stay warm...it is 16 degrees here, brrr!







1 comment:

  1. I can certainly vouch for the fact that it was as delicious as it was beautiful. Can't wait to have it again!
    BCV

    ReplyDelete