Friday, October 12, 2012

Pink Applesauce

Fall is here, and it is truly beautiful here in Michigan.  The leaves are changing colors and the air is brisk! The apple orchards are full of apples ready to be picked.  Cider is pressed and doughnuts are warm and yummy.  This is definitely my favorite time of year. In fact, my house smells like heaven, since I have an apple crisp in the oven and apple sauce cooking on the stove!   Yup, I am preparing for winter!

Every year I make applesauce just like my Mom.  She's 84 and her applesauce is done and in the freezer.  I don't think that I have ever purchased applesauce because it's really easy to make and it tastes wonderful, plus no preservatives!   You can use any type of baking apple or a combination of apples, but I always use Jonathons.  A funny story; when I was younger I wanted to name my future children after apples: Jonathon, Cortland, and McIntosh.  Gwyneth Paltrow could have been a little more creative!

 Next, core the apples, put them in a large pot with a little water and place the lid on the pot.  Simmer on low until the apples a very soft and mushy.  It will take a couple of hours.

 My stove top light tends to yellow my pictures, but this apple "smash" is a nice pink color because of  the apple peel.  When it is cooked down, it's ready for the food mill.
 
Place a food mill over a large bowl and ladle the apple "smash" into the food mill.  By twisting the handle, the soft apple is pushed  into the bowl, leaving the apple peel in the food mill.  Keep going until all of the apple sauce is in the bowl.
 
I like to add a little sugar to the apple sauce, but tend to keep it on the tart side.  My husband is the official taster to get just the right amount.  You can add cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever flavors you like.  A friend of mine used to add cinnamon candies.  But, I like just sugar.


 Yummy, a big bowl of apple sauce.  I ladle the apple sauce into plastic containers and freeze them for the year.  Just thaw and eat!  My kids like it best when there are frozen chunks of applesauce, kind of like a slushy!  I like it best with ham or roast pork tenderloin.
 
Or maybe ,just an afternoon snack!

Hope you're having a wonderful week and an even better weekend!



2 comments:

  1. Yummm... can I have some please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks (and i also know it tastes)so yummy. Great tutorial and pictures! Tmv

    ReplyDelete